Following a 1-hour free consultation in your home or office there really are only 3 steps to getting organized!
Step 1: Eliminate
- The area needs to be totally cleared (and cleaned in some cases)
- One by one, each item will be placed in 1 of 3 categories:
- I am happy to drop donations off for you, or arrange to have them picked up
- Garage/yard sales can be a good way to eliminate clutter, but not always--if you are having a hard time parting with sentimental things, selling it to a stranger may be difficult
- I will help you decide what to eliminate, but it is ultimately up to you
- Our goal is to "Say Yes to Less"
Step 2: Categorize
- You've heard the saying, "There's a place for everything and everything in its place"
- Think of putting items in categories, such as filing papers in a file cabinet--you wouldn't put your "Recipe" file under the letter "M"--why would you store office supplies in your kitchen?
- Items used regularly need to be easily accessible
- Items used less often--such as anything Christmas--can be stored in the attic
Step 3: Organize
- This is the fun part!
- If you are on a budget, try to "use what you have" when it comes to organizing--for example, using a piece of furniture from another room
- It is important to take advantage of vertical space versus using floor space to store things
- At this point, you will see the results of your hard work